Friday, January 22, 2010

Peter Pan (2003)


"Peter Pan" is a strange story for me in the fact that I am not crazy about every film adaptation.  I love Disney's version, but I was worried about this one.

This version of "Peter Pan" is just OK.  It has some good stuff, but a lot of bad stuff.  The best thing about the film is the score by James Newton Howard.  I really liked it.  The flying theme was later used by Disney for their Disney Parks commercials.  

I also kind of liked Captain Hook in this version.  I probably liked him because he resembled Hans Conreid's Disney version.

Now for the bad...  The worst thing about the film was Tinkerbell.  She was one of the most annoying characters I have ever seen and that says a lot when she didn't have a word of dialogue.  I didn't care about her at all.  All of the other actors were average.  Nothing stood out.  Another big problem with the film were the visual effects.  They were some of the worst I have ever seen, especially when it came to the giant CG alligator.  It was ridiculously huge!

My final problem with the film was the ending.  After a long disappearance, the Darling parents don't even ask their kids where they were.  They just accept them with open arms and act like everything is perfect.  It was strange.  

This version of "Peter Pan" lacks the magic and fun of the Disney version.  It was bland and it dragged on.  I'm not going to say it was a bad movie because I can see how some kids would enjoy it, but overall it was not a good movie.

C-

No comments:

Post a Comment