Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Daybreakers (2009)

**
"Daybreakers" has a very interesting concept.  The world is now run by vampires and they are running out of humans to feed upon.  If a vampire doesn't feed on human blood, he starts to morph into a hideous vicious creature.

I was really expecting this film to be bad, but to my surprise, it was quite good.  The starving vampires had very good make-up and they were very scary.  The first scene when Ethan Hawke confronts one is the best scene of the movie.  It was very effective.

The film had a lot of parallel themes also.  There is one scene of a girl being turned into a vampire and it was really realistic in the fact that it represented a rape scene.  It was disturbing.  

All of the acting was fine in the picture.  Ethan Hawke, Sam Neill, and Willem Dafoe all did very good jobs.  I thought some of Dafoe's dialogue was very corny though.  For instance, when discussing a dangerous situation, Dafoe says "That's more dangerous than bare-backing a $5 whore."  See what I mean?

"Daybreakers" is not your typical vampire film.  It is a smart horror film.  It deals with issues of rape, economy, and corporations, just to name a few.  I am glad I saw it.

B  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment