Friday, January 8, 2010

(500) Days of Summer (2009)


"(500) Days of Summer" has had great reviews since its release and I was very curious to finally see the film.  

As the film says, the film is not a love story, but a story about love.  It couldn't be more spot on.  Watching Joseph Gordon-Levitt try and figure out what exactly his relationship is with Zooey Deschanel really rings true to what relationships are like.  
I thought the acting was very good in the film, but I didn't like Zooey Deschanel's character.  I'm not complaining about Zooey herself.  She did a perfect job.  Her character was just a snobby girl who would not commit to anything, including her relationship with Gordon-Levitt.  It really makes you not like her.  

There is one scene that I really liked where a split screen effect is used.  On the left hand side of the screen, Gordon-Levitt's expectations of what a meeting with Zooey would be like is shown, and on the right, the reality of that meeting is shown.  I can't tell you how many times I have played meetings and dates in my mind, hoping they would go one way, just so it ends up in the total opposite direction.  I thought the film really displayed that well.

"(500) Days of Summer" is a very good independent film that shows the struggle of relationships and love in a true light.  If anyone has been in love or has wanted to love, you will relate to this film.

B  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment