Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Haunting in Connecticut (2009)

**
When I went to see "The Haunting in Connecticut", I expected it to be just like every other ghost movie that comes out. I was proven wrong, as this seems to be quite good compared to others of the genre.

The story revolves around a boy named Matt who is in the last stages of cancer. To be closer to the doctor treating him, Matt's family rents a nearby house. Soon, eerie things start to happen. They eventually realize that there is more to this house than what meets the eye. The house has a history to it and it is haunted by more than a few spirits.

I thought that the frights were very well done in this film. Most of the movie did not rely on special effects. That's what I like. The only obvious CG effect that was used was ectoplasm spewing from a boy's mouth. I didn't mind that. I thought it looked good. The makeup job on the main ghost was also very well done. He was kept in the shadows mostly, which kept the audience anticipating what he will look like. I thought that was a good way to show this character.

I thought that acting was also very good, especially from Kyle Gallner, who plays Matt. He is very convincing being scared and dying of cancer all at the same time.

Although I liked this film better than others of its kind, I still thought it was a bit too slow and involved. The movie should have ended 15 minutes before it actually did. The story gets very complex in the last act and the frights were not nearly as good.

But I still think the film is a very good addition to the "ghost" genre, even with its faults.

B I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment