Sunday, April 5, 2009

Cloverfield (2008)


"Cloverfield" is one of the best monster movies I have seen in a long while. When I originally saw this in the theater, I had to walk out. The hand held camera caused me to feel ill half way through the movie. It was a shame because I was really into the movie. I finally finished watching it when it came to DVD. Boy did I love it.

"Cloverfield" follows the story of a group of people who are in the middle of an attack on Manhattan by a giant monster. It is not clear what or where this monster came from, but everyone's life is in danger.

The effects in the movie are excellent. It's amazing how they did some of them, especially when the camera is shaking the entire time.

The acting in the film is excellent as well. My favorite performance is from Lizzy Caplan. I thought she was great. During a scene where she is attacked by one of the monsters, her fright really seems to be genuine.

Perhaps the best scene of the movie is when the military fires onto the monster. The main characters are caught in the crossfire. They end up making a run for the subway, just missing being crushed by the foot of the giant monster. This scene was shot so well and it was so exciting and thrilling.

An interesting note about the film: Just about every time the film flashes to white, a scene from another giant monster movie is shown. An example: During the climax of the film, when the helicopter crashes and the film cuts to white, an image of King Kong on the Empire State Building is shown. I thought that was a very creative thing to do.

"Cloverfield" is one of the most exciting, entertaining, thrilling, and scary movies I have seen. I could watch it again and again.

A- I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. "An interesting note about the film: Just about every time the film flashes to white, a scene from another giant monster movie is shown. An example: During the climax of the film, when the helicopter crashes and the film cuts to white, an image of King Kong on the Empire State Building is shown. I thought that was a very creative thing to do."

    i dont remember that... ill have to watch it again! Bring it over (blu ray only please)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can only see the other monster movies if you go frame by frame. It's only one frame from a monster movie, so as you know, it is only up for 1/24th of a second.

    ReplyDelete