Monday, February 22, 2010

Shutter Island (2010)

**
The promotions for this movie were amazing.  I can't tell you how many times I saw the trailer for "Shutter Island" in the past few months.  From the very first time I saw the trailer, I really wanted to see it.  But because the trailer debuted so long ago, I was worried that the film was in trouble. 

"Shutter Island" is directed by Martin Scorsese and stars Leonardo DiCaprio.  It is a perfect suspense/thriller.  It is frightening and keeps you on the edge of your seat from the very first frame until the last.  I can see the exact same script being directed by another director and turning into the most boring piece of crap.  With Scorsese's directing style, all of your senses are being treated to a buffet of film making.

Visually the film is stunning.  This has some of the best cinematography I have ever seen.  I was truly impressed.  It also had some of the best sets and locations I have ever seen.  The mental institution looked authentic and very foreboding.  The dream sequences in the film are beautifully done and adds a perfect contrast to the main story being told.  

I don't want to go into the story too much as I don't want to give anything away, but everything about this film is excellent.  I was almost in awe the entire time.  "Shutter Island" is a great addition to Scorsese's film career.  It was amazing the first time and I will definitely see it again.

A  I recommend it.

Oh yea...  I gotta put my favorite line in here:  "It's as if she evaporated straight through the walls".

No comments:

Post a Comment