Monday, February 22, 2010

The Hurt Locker (2008)


Look at some of the quotes from reviews on the movie poster.  "Near-perfect."  "Ferociously suspenseful".  After hearing all of these great things, I was worried that "The Hurt Locker" would not live up to its hype.

"The Hurt Locker" is in fact all of the things these reviewers have been claiming.  It is an amazing movie full of suspense and emotion.  

Jeremy Renner is terrific in this role.  I remember him from a memorable episode of "Angel".  I had not heard of him since then, so  I was surprised to hear all this praise he is getting.  His character is so interesting.  The more you watch of him, the more you want to know what's going on in his mind.  

A parallel I found in this film was the fact that all these soldiers are over in a terrible place fighting a war, but they are all still children at heart, especially Renner's character.  Renner bullies people, fights with his friends for fun, and he even has a toy box under his bed, which in this case are souvenirs from every situation that could have killed him.  That parallel really made war (something I am not familiar with) a real life thing.

"The Hurt Locker" has everything going for it.  It has great direction, acting, cinematography, writing, and editing.  I was so impressed with the editing.  I think it will win that Oscar for sure. As for winning Best Picture, my choice is between this and "Inglorious Basterds".  "The Hurt Locker" was a thrilling movie and never let up.  Getting to know Renner's character was a journey that will not be forgotten.

A-  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment