Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Crazies (2010)

**
"The Crazies" is a remake of a George Romero film that I have never seen.  I haven't even heard of the original film until somewhat recently.  As we all know remakes hardly ever live up to the original, but this one I think might.

The film had a lot of good suspense and interesting scenes.  It was interesting to see a zombie film without true zombies.  These are just regular people that become infected by drinking contaminated tap water.  The town is quarantined and the United States government will not let anyone leave the area.  Now the survivors have two things to fear: the zombie like townsfolk and the government.  It was a situation destined to end badly.

There are a few really great scenes of horror in the film.  My favorite scene has to be when our group drives their car into a car wash to hide from a military helicopter.  Inside the wash, the crazies start their attack.  It was frightening and the end result of the attack was a great pay off.

"The Crazies" reminded me of the film "Quarantine" in the fact that it seems there is no escape.  Of course "Quarantine" was probably heavily influenced by the original film.  

I enjoyed "The Crazies" much more than I thought I was going to.  It is a sort of realistic take on the zombie film.  You could really imagine people becoming infected and the government becoming an enemy.  If this were a real life situation, what would our country do to a group of its own citizens to contain a virus?  

B  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment