Saturday, May 1, 2010

Whip It (2009)


I decided to watch "Whip It" because of one thing.   I really like Ellen Page.  I think she is a terrific actress.  One reason I did not want to watch it was because I am not a fan of Drew Barrymore.  

To my surprise, "Whip It" was pretty good.  Drew Barrymore did a very good job directing Ellen Page to get a real and emotional performance.  Page is just one of the best actresses of this generation.  The only problem is she has become typecast into "Juno" type roles.  

"Whip It" was fun and enjoyable, but very predictable.  It is just like every other sports movie you have seen.  We fall in love with our main character, things are going well, she loses everything, then gets it all back.   It is a formula that has been used for decades and decades of film, but there is a reason for that.  It works.

"Whip It" was a very good film following the life of a young girl who finds something she truly loves.  There were good acting performances by Page, Juliette Lewis, Daniel Stern, Marcia Gay Harden, and Kristen Wigg.  I can't stand Wigg on "Saturday Night Live", but I enjoy her in films.  "Whip It" was paced very well and for Barrymore' directorial debut, she did a bang up job.

B  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment