Friday, April 23, 2010

An Education (2009)


"An Education" was nominated for several Oscars this past year, including Best Picture and Best Actress for Carey Mulligan.

I wasn't sure what to expect with "An Education", but I am glad to say I really enjoyed it.  

The acting was brilliant.  Everyone held their own in the picture.  Of course, the best performance was by Mulligan herself.  She was very likable and convincing as the teenage girl who wants a new life.  I also really enjoyed Alfred Molina as her father.  I thought he stole every scene he was in.  He was quite funny too.

Everything was excellent about "An Education".  It had deep emotions running through me, along with a few laughs (mostly by Alfred Molina).  

I loved the look of the film also.  It really felt like we were in 1960s England.  From the sets, the locations, and the wardrobe, the era was effectively convincing.  

Even though I did really enjoy the film, I just had this bad feeling throughout.  It was very strange how Mulligan and her parents would be fine with her dating a man in his 30s.  We find out that her boyfriend (played by a very talented Peter Sarsgaard) is in fact hiding something, but it was not what I was expecting.  There was just a strange feeling I had that Sarsgaard and his friends were going to get Mulligan into some deep trouble...  

"An Education" is brilliant in many ways.  There isn't much to fault here.  It is a great story that really teaches this young girl what life is really like and shortcuts to becoming an adult may not always be the best plan.

A-  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment