Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (2009)


After all the talk of this film from the Oscars this year, I was really curious to see "Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire".  The film already started off on a bad note by having one of the most annoying film titles I have ever heard of.  

"Precious" is a pretty good movie about a girl who has no luck.  Everything that is bad in the world, happens to her.  It is very sad and you really do feel for Precious.  At points in the film, it just sort of becomes annoying and actually kind of funny because so many bad things are happening to her.  She can't catch a break!  

The acting was really good in the film.  Mo'Nique does a great job as Precious' abusive mother and boy did she deserve the Oscar.  It is an incredibly realistic portrayal.  Gabourey Sidibe was nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars.  She was good, but her performance was a little overrated I thought.  She was good, but she was mumbling so much of the time.  I could barely understand one word she was saying.  

There was something weird I noticed about the film while watching it.  I felt like the filmmakers made a lot of mistakes during production and the editor tried his best to save their asses.  One example is a shot that should have been a rack focus, but they put a dissolve cut in the middle of the shot to transition from blurry to clear.  It could be an artistic way to show the audience this scene, but I feel that the rack focus was messed up during the take and the cut was needed.  There also seemed to be a lot of continuity problems and dubbing problems.  It was a little strange for such a highly acclaimed film.

"Precious" is a very good film that is very emotional at times, but I think it is overrated.  It had some great acting and writing, but there is no way I would have nominated it for Best Picture.  It is a movie that should be viewed, but I don't think it will be remembered for years to come.

B-  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment