Saturday, May 23, 2009

Star Trek (2009)

**
I have never been a "Star Trek" fan, but I thought I would give this movie a shot.  It is actually pretty good.

An evil villain came from the future to seek revenge on future events.  In the future, his planet will be destroyed and he blames Spock for this.  After being sucked into a black hole, he has come back a hundred years and he wants young Spock to pay for what he will do in the future.  

Jim Kirk is a rebellious young man, but he decides that he wants to become Captain one day of the Starship Enterprise.  The villain, back from the future, killed his father and he wants to seek revenge as well.

The movie is good.  It has characters that you really like, especially Spock.  He is the best character in the picture.  You really feel something for him, especially when his home planet is destroyed.  I thought it was very neat to have Leonard Nimoy come back to play future Spock.  Zachary Quinto did a great job as Spock.  A lot of emotion went through him, even though he was limited due to the fact that Spock does not show much emotion.  

The best thing about the film were the effects and sound.  These are some of the best effects I have seen.  The scene that really shows off the effects is when giant animals are chasing Kirk trying to kill him.  The sound was brilliant.  It really adds to the excitement of the picture.

My biggest problem was the editing and/or shooting of the picture.  During the action scenes, it was hard to follow what was going on, due to fast cutting and shots that were just too close up.  There was even a few scenes were conversations were shot and cut in a strange way.  They crossed the line a few times disorienting the viewer.  I don't really understand that.

Another problem I had was the villain.  I thought he did not look good.  He didn't look menacing enough.  Plus his minions looked exactly like him, so it was hard to follow which one he was.  

One other big problem was the concept of time travel in the movie.  It was all very confusing and it didn't make much sense.  I guess people can travel in time because of a black hole created by Red Matter.  The whole Red Matter thing just didn't make much sense to me.  A tiny drop makes a huge black whole, but an entire canister of Red Matter doesn't cause much more damage.

"Star Trek" is a good action movie that is worth watching.  I didn't like it enough to see a repeat viewing of it, but I will see the sequel.  

B  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment