Monday, March 9, 2009

The Mummy (1999)


When a mummy is brought back to life, an ancient curse is upon the people that opened his tomb.  Looking to bring his bride back to life, the Mummy finds the soul of his lost love reincarnated in the body of a young modern girl named Evelyn.  It is up to Evelyn's friends to save her from the wrath of the Mummy.

Boris Karloff starred in the original and it is one of my favorite films of all time.  Many remakes are not very good, but this one I like.

The film is more like an Indiana Jones movie than a horror movie, but that does not hurt it.  I think it is a very exciting movie with great action, good story, and some good acting.  Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz both do great jobs in this film.  You really get to like their characters.

There are only a few things I do not like about the movie.  The effects are not that great.  It would have been much better and scarier if the mummy was a live human in bandages.  But what can you do...  
The other thing that bugs me is the comic relief.  Some of the comedic lines are just too over the top.  

But overall, I think "The Mummy" is a great action film.  I think it is very underrated.  

B+  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment