Sunday, October 10, 2010

Superman (1978)


There are things that I like about "Superman", but so much of it is extremely boring. The first hour or "origin" of Superman went by so slow, I couldn't believe it. It was so boring!

But then the Superman that we all know and love came on the screen. That's where the movie picks up. Christopher Reeve is excellent as Superman and Clark Kent. He is such a bumbling fool when playing Kent and when that cape is on, you really buy him as the Man of Steel.

So much of the movie is corny though. I love corny, but this is a little too much. The scene of Superman and Lois flying is great, but listening to Lois' thoughts was sickening. Corny at it's finest, I say!

All of the other actors were very good, including Marlon Brando as Superman's father and Margot Kidder as Lois Lane. However, the real stand out performance came from Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor. He was so natural and funny.

Unfortunately, I can't say that I love "Superman". The running time, especially the first hour, really hurt the film. It is an average movie with one of the best movie scores I have ever heard. This is one of John Williams' best and honestly, I prefer listening the soundtrack in my car than watching this movie.

C+

No comments:

Post a Comment